If you hire one of these editors you will pay them directly. We are only referring you to them. We do not hire them for you.
NOTE ABOUT UNKNOWN EDITORS OFFERING THEIR SERVICES ONLINE: There is no licensing agency for editors and there are many online now who are NOT professional editors. We receive complaints almost daily from authors who hired an editor they found online, and then found even more errors in their “edited” book. (This even happens with editors who work for some print on demand publishers!) References can be easily manufactured so you should only hire an editor who’s done a good job for an author or publisher you know. All of the editors below have worked for BookLocker authors in the past and those authors are very happy with their work.
A WARNING ABOUT LETTING YOUR PUBLISHER EDIT YOUR BOOK: Many print on demand publishers and publishing service providers now claim ownership of edited manuscripts (what they call the “production files”) even though authors paid THEM to edit their books. We call this a “forced marriage” because it makes it almost impossible for an author to move to another publisher someday, even if they are unhappy with their current publisher. We strongly recommend NOT paying a publisher to edit your manuscript. Freelance editors don’t try to claim ownership of an author’s files.
FREELANCE EDITORS WE RECOMMEND
Angela Hoy – Children’s Book Editor
Angela is the publisher of WritersWeekly.com and the President and CEO of BookLocker.com. She is also the mother of 6, aged 13 to 34, and has 3 grandchildren (and another on the way!). Angela enjoys editing children’s books in her spare time.
Contact Angela for a quote RIGHT HERE.
Bard of the South – Rickey Pittman
Rickey has helped hundreds of authors put more professional books on the market. You would send your manuscript to him in Word form (either doc or docx) and he will directly make obvious changes, or make suggestions to you, listing both changes made and suggestions in a separate file. He will continue to be available to answer specific questions or help you with short sections until publication of your book. Or, if you are good with Word, and like the tracking tool, he can make changes, comments and suggestions that way. When you consider the time involved in reading your manuscript out loud, making changes and listing them, some fact checking, etc. you will see that, for an editor with his experience, his fee is very reasonable.
- Editing first time novels
- Final proofing (an additional fee)
- Editing short pieces like essays, magazine articles, songwriting
- Speech writing
Contact Rickey for a quote RIGHT HERE.
David has written and edited more than 300 books for 30-plus publishers, with combined sales of more than $20 million. If he edits your book, your text will be as clean and professional-looking as any text published by HarperCollins or Simon & Schuster.
- Copyediting, line editing, content/developmental editing, proofreading, query letters
- Fiction: novels, young adult, children’s, historical fiction
- Nonfiction: memoirs, history, sports, biographies, military, politics…pretty much anything
- Proofreading: 1.0-1.3 cents
- Copyediting: 1.4-2.5 cents
- Manuscript review/critique: 1.5 cents
- Developmental/Content editing: rates vary
He often provides a helpful 3-in-1: developmental editing, copyediting, and proofreading for one low price. Everyone’s needs are different. Upload a sample of your manuscript and ask him what you’d like him to do. He’ll provide a free sample edit, as well as a quote (fee and completion date).
Contact David for a quote RIGHT HERE.
- I’m happy to recommend [Kim Davis] as an editor/publisher, as I had an excellent experience all around working with [her] on the creation and promotion of my book, The Mad Farmer’s Wife.—Rita Quillen
- Kim Davis shepherded not one, but three, of my poetry collections into publication while at Texas Review Press; without doubt, she is one of the most caring, insightful and hands-on editors it has been my pleasure to work with, and I am forever grateful to her.—George Drew (Pastoral Habits, Down and Dirty, and The View from Jackass Hill.)
- GREAT EDITOR. NONE BETTER. WE STILL COMMUNICATE NOW AND THEN.—DC Berry, (Yes, Cancer French Kisses)
Contact Kim for a quote RIGHT HERE.
Kris is a professional professional editor, copywriter, ghostwriter, copy/content/features writer, and the author of nine books, three of which were best sellers in their categories on Amazon. She has been writing/editing/enhancing copy and content for Scholastic Book Fairs for four years, as well as numerous other happy clients (see testimonials below).
No religious manuscripts, please.
- Copy editing, basic (line-by-line editing/enhancement, no reorganization or significant rewriting): $35-$40/hr
- Developmental Editing: $50-$80/hr
- Extreme Makeover Editing: $100/hr
- Editorial on Call: $20-$150/hr
- Ghostwriting: $100/hr (If author supplies all source materials and no research is required)
- Advertising Copy writing: $100/hr
“Without exaggeration you are the best copywriter I’ve ever worked with…and I’ve worked with many. You are not only fast, talented and reasonably priced, but you are a joy to work with and know. I know I tell you this all the time, but you have made my life vastly better.”
– Teryl McLane, Scholastic Book Fairs
“How could one review possibly do her justice? It can’t… She is that amazing. She edited my entire book, helped me come up with a title AND wrote a back cover that absolutely jumps off the page. All I can really say is that I will use Kristine for every edit / copyedit job I have both personally and professionally. She knocked it out of the park! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!”
— Tony Brooks, Seattle, WA (Author, Sugar Kills!)
“Kristine did editorial work on a manuscript for me, and did such a great job the first time that I used her again on the next manuscript I published. She is very professional and will work with your needs and goals in mind. She will offer suggestions and collaborate if you ask her for her professional opinion. I highly recommend Kristine for any copy writing or copy-enhanced work!”
– Pastor Jason Whitehurst, author of ‘A New Look at the Big Ten [Commandments], Uncovering Their Relevance to Every Generation’
Additional testimonials available on request.
Contact Kris for a quote RIGHT HERE.
James Pence — Editor, Collaborator/Co-author, Ghostwriter
*No sexually explicit content.
“James Pence has a gift for taking an average manuscript and polishing it into a strong finished product. He found plot holes, character inconsistencies, lazy writing, and gave me practical advice to correct it via comments found in the margins of my manuscript. His part in the journey of my manuscript was VITAL and worth every penny.” –
– Michael Littau
Dear Jim: I wanted to share my excitement about something you helped bring about-–my book, The Writer, was accepted for publication. After receiving your critique, I was able to identify and make needed changes that were crucial for improvement. Thank You for your feedback. It was worth every cent and made all the difference, and made me a better writer!
Contact James for a quote RIGHT HERE.
One of the most critical aspects of writing is grammar and sentence structure. Timothy Jacobs will ensure your craft is edited thoroughly. Besides grammar and sentence structure, he will look at the whole story or book. He will:
- Correct grammatical errors.
- Ensure the text flows; sentences are accurate and sensible.
- Validate the five C’s: clear, correct, concise, complete, and consistent
- Make sure there are no unanswered questions.
- Enhance scenes using all five senses when possible.
- Correct any redundancies.
- Make certain to follow the character’s POV (Point of View).
- Ensure the story flows, follows the specific time line, and makes sense.
- Edits all fiction genres and non-fiction except medical and law
- Developmental editing, content, copy, and proofreading
Tim has done quite a bit of editing work for me and my authors over the years. He is good about setting a good window of time to get the job done, and he’s within that window, often several days early. Some people promise a quick turn around time to get your work, then fail to do so. Tim is realistic, and steady, so you can be confident that the work will be done by the time he sets. He communicates well, so there are no sudden “I didn’t know that …” type of concerns. I know when he starts that it will be done. He’s always friendly, and patient, which helps. Tim also does writing/ghostwriting, which is of value to some authors who have a really rough and disjointed manuscript. He is not simply an editor, working strictly with what has been written. He can take rough and make it sing, which in turn adds value to the authors and their manuscripts. Yes, I can highly recommend Tim.
– B. Mast
I always gave Tim aggressive deadlines and he always met them.
– D. Marx
Tim does a great job. I only write humor so I know he’s great in that genre. My first two books were fiction, so I know he’s good with both fiction and nonfiction.
I have been impressed with Tim’s lack of errors, probably due to how well he communicates with his clients, As a professional in the industry knows the importance in putting out the best product possible.
– P. Grover
Additional testimonials available on request.
Contact Tim for a quote RIGHT HERE.
*No sexually explicit content.
Copy editing: $.008 per word
Substantive (structural) editing: $.01 per word”
“Wayne Purdin edited several of my books and always over delivered, both in quality and in speed.”
– D. Smith
“Wayne Purdin’s price was not cheap, but not the most expensive either; I found it reasonable for the work involved, and his edits, particularly on my punctuation, showed he worked on every page. No skipping, no cheating. I loved that he ‘got’ my characters and his few suggestions brought those aspects of them to life. If I remember right, he told me he would take 3-4 weeks and he finished within that time frame. No editorial errors came to light. I would work with Wayne again – gladly.”
– C. Hurn
Additional testimonials available on request.
Contact Wayne for a quote RIGHT HERE.
Carolyn Roark, Developmental Editor
– Helping authors develop rough ideas and create an organized outline.
– Coaching writers through the process of creating a full first draft.
– Guiding writers through revision to make manuscripts compelling and readable.
– Assisting authors to create a plan for publication and beyond.
Honestly, there are not enough words to describe Carolyn’s incomparable and outstanding editorial services. Professional and skillful, she is one of those rare extraordinarily creative individuals with a deep knowledge and proficient grasp of grammar and literature. I am currently writing a new book and would never consider engaging another editor besides Carolyn Roark…she is over-the-top brilliant!
– Kathy F.
Carolyn Roark was great at helping reform my story to be more book ready.
– Nick P.
I barely had a shell of a document when we started. Carolyn Roark was with me from start to finish, as long as it took. Carolyn was my partner in every way. She took the time to understand me, and to understand my ideas surrounding this project. Her editorial work was right on point and clearly communicated. She truly knows her craft. I can say with certainty that this first manuscript (my very first) would absolutely not have been completed without Carolyn’s careful combination of patience and prodding. She corrected my formatting, phrasing, continuity and everything pertinent to keeping the book professional and “correct”.
– Denise B.
Carolyn Roark’s work has been timely for all three of my books, I’ve been very pleased with her work, and I’ve found her fees reasonable. Carolyn is excellent at her job and a pleasure to work with. That’s why I keep going back to her.
– Stephen G.
Contact Carolyn for a quote RIGHT HERE.
REQUEST A QUOTE FROM ONE OF THE PROFESSIONALS ABOVE. WE WILL FORWARD YOUR REQUEST AND FILE(S) (if applicable) to that individual, who will then contact you directly. If you need multiple quotes, type the names of all of the individuals you’re interested in speaking with in the first box below.