If you hire one of these editors you will pay them directly. We are only referring you to them. We do not hire them for you.
NOTE ABOUT UNKNOWN EDITORS OFFERING THEIR SERVICES ONLINE: There is no licensing agency for editors and there are many online now who are NOT professional editors. We receive complaints almost daily from authors who hired an editor they found online, and then found even more errors in their “edited” book. (This even happens with editors who work for some print on demand publishers!) References can be easily manufactured so you should only hire an editor who’s done a good job for an author or publisher you know. All of the editors below have worked for BookLocker authors in the past and those authors are very happy with their work.
A WARNING ABOUT LETTING YOUR PUBLISHER EDIT YOUR BOOK: Many print on demand publishers and publishing service providers now claim ownership of edited manuscripts (what they call the “production files”) even though authors paid THEM to edit their books. We call this a “forced marriage” because it makes it almost impossible for an author to move to another publisher someday, even if they are unhappy with their current publisher. We strongly recommend NOT paying a publisher to edit your manuscript. Freelance editors don’t try to claim ownership of an author’s files.
FREELANCE EDITORS WE RECOMMEND
Bard of the South – Rickey Pittman
Rickey has helped hundreds of authors put more professional books on the market. You would send your manuscript to him in Word form (either doc or docx) and he will directly make obvious changes, or make suggestions to you, listing both changes made and suggestions in a separate file. He will continue to be available to answer specific questions or help you with short sections until publication of your book. Or, if you are good with Word, and like the tracking tool, he can make changes, comments and suggestions that way. When you consider the time involved in reading your manuscript out loud, making changes and listing them, some fact checking, etc. you will see that, for an editor with his experience, his fee is very reasonable.
Contact Rickey for a quote RIGHT HERE.
Dave Carew – Editor AND Ghostwriter
Dave’s experience as one of the nation’s most in-demand copywriters, PR specialists, and book editors/ghostwriters has given him the inside knowledge and skill your book needs to succeed.
Contact Dave for a quote RIGHT HERE.
Davis has written and edited more than 300 books for 30-plus publishers, with combined sales of more than $20 million. If he edits your book, your text will be as clean and professional-looking as any text published by HarperCollins or Simon & Schuster.
- Copyediting, line editing, content/developmental editing, proofreading, query letters
- Fiction: novels, young adult, children’s, historical fiction
- Nonfiction: memoirs, history, sports, biographies, military, politics…pretty much anything
- Proofreading: 1.0-1.3 cents
- Copyediting: 1.4-2.5 cents
- Manuscript review/critique: 1.5 cents
- Developmental/Content editing: rates vary
He often provides a helpful 3-in-1: developmental editing, copyediting, and proofreading for one low price. Everyone’s needs are different. Upload a sample of your manuscript and ask him what you’d like him to do. He’ll provide a free sample edit, as well as a quote (fee and completion date).
Contact David for a quote RIGHT HERE.
- I’m happy to recommend [Kim Davis] as an editor/publisher, as I had an excellent experience all around working with [her] on the creation and promotion of my book, The Mad Farmer’s Wife.—Rita Quillen
- Kim Davis shepherded not one, but three, of my poetry collections into publication while at Texas Review Press; without doubt, she is one of the most caring, insightful and hands-on editors it has been my pleasure to work with, and I am forever grateful to her.—George Drew (Pastoral Habits, Down and Dirty, and The View from Jackass Hill.)
- GREAT EDITOR. NONE BETTER. WE STILL COMMUNICATE NOW AND THEN.—DC Berry, (Yes, Cancer French Kisses)
Contact Kim for a quote RIGHT HERE.
REQUEST A QUOTE FROM ONE OF THE PROFESSIONALS ABOVE. WE WILL FORWARD YOUR REQUEST AND FILE(S) (if applicable) to that individual, who will then contact you directly. If you need multiple quotes, type the names of all of the individuals you’re interested in speaking with in the first box below.